Healthy Cinco de Mayo Celebrations
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Delicious, Low-Cal Options
With Cinco de Mayo this weekend, many of us will be celebrating with potentially regrettable high-calorie drinks and celebratory foods (how can one say no to a taco?). However, this doesn’t mean it has to be a full-on cheat day, and there is a healthy way to celebrate and still keep calories down! Here are some alternative recipes for "healthy" margaritas and tacos to help you stay on track for your routine.
· 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila (about 3 tablespoons)
· 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large or 1 1/2 small limes)
· 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1/2 medium orange)
· 1 teaspoon light agave nectar (add 2 if you prefer a sweeter margarita)
· Salt & lime wedge
· Add in muddled fruit to the bottom of your glass for added nutrients and a fruity flavor
· Swap the orange juice with grapefruit, blood orange, or pomegranate juice
· Mix in sugar with the salt for the rim and add a pinch of chipotle powder for a spicy twist
1. Rim the glass: Pour a thin layer of salt onto a small plate. Rub a lime wedge around the top edge of your glass to moisten it, then dip the glass into the salt so that it sticks, tapping all the way around. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
2. Fill a small cocktail shaker with additional ice. Add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and agave. Tightly close and shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds (it’s longer than you think). Strain into the rimmed glass over the ice. Enjoy immediately.
Original recipe by Well Plated
Cilantro-Lime Shrimp Tacos
· ¾ pound medium shrimp, peeled deveined, and cooked
· 1 15-ounce can of black beans rinsed and drained
· ¼ cup sliced scallions
· 1 medium diced peeled avocado
· ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
· ½ cup bottled salsa verde
· ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
· 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
· 8 (6-inch) flour or corn tortillas
· 1 ¼ cups red bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch strips
· Lime wedges for serving
· Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
1. Combine shrimp, beans, scallions, and avocado. Season with pepper. In a separate bowl, stir together the salsa, cilantro, and lime juice. Toss shrimp mixture with 1/4 cup salsa mixture.
2. Arrange tortillas on a microwave-safe plate in batches of Place a damp paper towel over the tortillas and microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds.
3. Arrange 3–4 pepper strips in the center of each tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup of the shrimp-and-bean mixture. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of the salsa verde mixture over each taco. Serve with lime wedges and cilantro.
Original Recipe from Health.com